Do you like fresh fruit? You are certainly familiar with fruit salad, right? In Indonesia, we call it Rujak.
Rujak is a dish of various kinds of fresh fruit that is thinly sliced and served with palm sugar and peanut sauce with a sweet spicy taste. There are several variants of rujak in Indonesia and fruit salad is one of the most popular rujak variants. Rujak can be found in almost all regions in Indonesia, in traditional markets, stalls or carts around roadside stalls to luxury restaurants.
To make rujak, you can use any kind of fruit according to your taste, but the characteristic of fruit salad is that the selected fruit tends to be half-ripe with a slightly hard texture so that the crunchy sensation when chewed with the sweet spicy taste of palm sugar sauce becomes more lively.
The fruits that are usually the main ingredients of rujak are pineapple, jicama, cucumber, papaya, mangoes, water apple and other fruits according to taste. How to make it is very easy, see how to make the following Rujak below
1 cup of sliced cucumber
1 cup of sliced pineapple
1 cup of sliced jicama
1 cup of sliced half riped papaya
1 cup of sliced half riped mangoes
1 cup of sliced water apples
The ingredients needed to make palm sugar and peanut sauce
100 grams of fried peanuts
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons of tamarind water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
8 pieces of chilies/cayenne pepper
How To Make Rujak / Fruit Salad with Sweet and Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Make sure all the fruits are washed and thinly sliced, set aside
- Make the sweet and spicy peanut sauce
- Grind the cayenne pepper with salt
- Then add palm sugar, puree with a pestle.
- After that add tamarind water, stir until smooth.
- Add the fried peanuts, grind until the peanuts are half smooth.
- Correct the taste by adding salt, tamarind water and sugar.
- The rujak a.k.a the Fruit salad with peanut sauce is ready to be served