What Is Klepon
Klepon is a traditional Indonesian food that is often found in traditional markets and sold at quite affordable prices. The shape is quite unique with a round shape like a ball with a green color using natural pandan leaf coloring, covered with shredded coconut and palm sugar filling inside, there is a melting sensation when you start biting and chewing the klepon.
Klepon is believed to be a traditional food typical of the island of Java, but even so, klepon is also found on the islands of Sumatra, Sulawesi and Malaysia as onde-onde or Melaka fruit.
The shape and taste of klepon has an interesting philosophical meaning. The chewy texture of klepon with sugar filling means that sometimes something tough will taste sweet in the future according to the effort made.
Original Klepon Recipe Ingredients
You wouldn’t even believe that to make this side dish you will only need 6 main ingredients, which are:
- 250 gr of glutinous rice flour
- 200 ml of warm water
- pinch of salt
- pandan flavoring
- Palm sugar as needed
- shredded coconut (dried or fresh)
How To Make Klepon
- Steam shredded coconut to get it soft and fluffy (around 5-10 minutes) this is also to prevent the shredded coconut to get easily spoiled. If you are using dried shredded coconut, you may skip this step
- In a medium bowl, add glutinous rice flour, pinch of salt, pandan flavoring and stir until combined.
- Add in the warm water to the dough little by litte and knead until it turns a sof dough
- Take a spoon of the dough and shape it round by rolling it around into a ball.
- Do it quickly here so the dough doesn’t dry out. Tips: take a little bit of cooking oil to your palm so the dough won’t stick to your palm and easier to shape.
- Make a hole by pressing the center of a round klepon and fill it with the palm sugar, and close the dough over the hole. Make sure it’s sealed well by pinching the dough back together, then roll it back into a ball with your palms.
- Repeat the process to all the dough.
- Cook the klepon, put all the round klepon to a large pot of boiling water until they float to the top.
- Once they are cooked, removed the klepon and drain them well.
- Finally, coat the klepon with the shredded coconut and the delicious klepon is ready to be served!